How to Import Items Data into Bidstation from Excel
Importing Items data into Bidstation from an Excel spreadsheet can save time and improve accuracy. Bidstation provides a convenient template for Items, found in the File Menu. Select File/Import/Import Templates, then select Item from the Import Type drop-down menu.
Select Generate and you will be prompted to save the Excel file to a preferred location. Choose the preferred import Excel format (.xls or.xlsx extension) and Save.
The template will open in Excel. It provides pre-populated headers and follows the formatting conventions required for successful importing of Items into Bidstation.
Enter data in the Excel spreadsheet columns using the following required conventions, then Save:
- Title and Type are both required fields for creating a record and importing data.
- Item numbers (required for the auction) may be entered in the field CatalogueNumber (equivalent to Item Number): Use numbers only (not alpha text) or leave blank
- Do not use currency symbols such as “$” in the Value field
- Use any combination of symbols/letters/numbers up to 5,000 characters including spaces in the Description field
- To import ITEMS and apply a tax/surcharge, enter the numeral 1 (one). (The Tax/Surcharge field box in the item’s profile will then be checked if taxes should be applied to the winning bid.)
- If you are not applying a tax/surcharge, leave the field blank or enter the numeral 0 (zero).
- Columns may be reordered or deleted, except for the required headers Title (of item), Type (Basket, Live or Silent) and Item Number.
When you are ready to import the list of Items, use the navigation menu to select File/Import/Items, browse to find the Items list you have prepared (named Item by default), select the file and click Open. The items in your list will be added in Bidstation.
Imported information can be changed within the program as required. New items can be imported using the method described but must be imported from a new Excel/CSV file each time since importing always adds, and never overwrites, data. To update data, edit it in Bidstation or delete the record in Bidstation before importing it a second time.
For more information about importing items information consult the Bidstation™ User Manual, Section 9.